The Value of Assessing Preferences
- Understanding the preferences of the people I take care of will help me and my colleagues work more efficiently.
- Assessing preferences supports the mission, vision, and values of our organization.
- Assessing preferences helps us to meet regulatory requirements for providing person-centered care.
- Knowing my clients’ preferences helps me to give them a better day and hopefully joy.
- Knowing my clients’ preferences helps me to redirect, calm, and reassure them.
- Assessing preferences helps me feel confident that the care I deliver matches my clients’ wishes.
- Even if I think I know the preferences of my client, they may change — either temporarily or permanently — so it’s important to check in and ask.
The Value of Creating and Using PAL Cards
- PAL Cards make it easy for us to start a conversation with a client about the things they enjoy, making them feel valued and known.
- PAL Cards can help us orient new team members to our clients’ preferences.
- PAL Cards will show families that we have taken the time to get to know their loved ones.
- We can use the tool to ask family members about their loved one’s important preferences — this is especially helpful when residents/clients have difficulty telling us about their preferences on their own.
- PAL Cards give us a way to show surveyors that we are aware of client preferences.
- PAL Cards help me communicate with clients and provide care in the way they prefer.
The Value of the Emotion-Focused Communication Training
- This evidence-based training will help me:
- Recognize emotions in myself and others
- Provide me with strategies to anticipate resident/client needs
- Provide me with needed communication skills for working with people living
- with dementia
- Give me practical strategies that I can immediately put into practice
- The training will help with culture change, allowing us to better communicate with one another, families, and residents/clients
- This online training is:
- Convenient, flexible, and available at no cost to me or the organization
- Only takes 2.5 hours and I can complete it in a few 15-30 minute segments
- I will receive a Certificate of Completion from Miami University for my HR records