Caring for a person living with dementia requires a unique set of psychosocial skills that are not often taught to caregivers. Without basic skills in listening actively or recognizing emotions in persons living with dementia, caregivers can find their work especially challenging.
The Emotion-Focused Communication Professional Certificate teaches strategies that enable caregivers to better manage their own feelings and those of their care recipients. These strategies are designed to build a stronger relationship and more positive care experience for caregivers and care recipients alike.
The course is designed for direct care workers and other caregivers. The focus is on providing care to an individual living with dementia but the course is relevant to any caregiving situation.
- Flexibility — the course is divided into 6 lessons (each 15-30 minutes) which you can complete at your own pace. The course does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- Interactive exercises built in to enhance learning — video clips show caregivers and older adults in everyday situations so you can see skills in action.
- Specific strategies to strengthen skills in active listening and communication — that lead to more satisfying relationships between caregivers and older adults.
- Certificate upon course completion
- Offered at no cost – thanks to funding from the Ohio Department of Medicaid.
Emotion-Focused Communication Training is free. To sign up, visit the Emotion-Focused Communication Training course hosted by Miami University, add the course to your cart ($0.00) and check out.